Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Standing Desk Update, 2ish Weeks In

I've been using my ghetto fabulous standing desk now for about 3 weeks or so, but one of those weeks doesn't count since I was out on vacation for Thanksgiving.  So here is a breakdown of how often I've used it:

Week 1, Used it the last 2 days of the week.
Week 2, Out on PTO.
Week 3, 4 day week, used it for most of 3 of the 4 days (had all day meetings on Wednesday).
Week 4, Just started, on day 2.

So far so good.  My back doesn't hurt necessarily, but I do have to be very conscious of my posture and I do get stiff if I stand in one place for too long.  Also I find myself wanting to slouch over.  I find myself stretching more to get my muscles active in different directions instead of just one.  The only thing that hurts is my feet.  I suspect that my one year old daily wear Lands End shoes need to be replaced.  Thinking about getting some light hike/run type shoes to replace them.  I'm also seriously considering an anti-fatigue mat to help with the pressure on my feet.

Mornings are the best.  I feel good and I enjoy standing and feel like I get a lot done at work.  By the time lunch rolls around, I'm definitely ready for a break.  That seems to be one of the "benefits" of doing this.  I don't eat at my desk anymore.  It is really hard to eat and stand.

Afternoons are tough.  I find myself having more trouble focusing on work as I'm more focused on how fatigued I am, or on my aching feet.  I also end up taking more walking or sitting breaks.

It is hard to tell how it affects my energy levels.  I've also been hitting the gym a lot more lately, not to mention the sharp increase in hiking and walking.  I do feel like it has been helping greatly with my posture.  I feel my back "settle" in new ways.  My lumbars pop more when I twist, and it feels like overall my spine is aligning differently.  My awesome chiropractor told me that this would happen, and that my spine would realign with increased standing.

Otherwise, I've had no more stiffness in my lower back which could just be time healing my wounds or it could be from standing more.

I'm definitely a fan.  I do feel like I'm making a positive impact on my health and on my posture and alignment.  It is definitely worth the laughs (although, most people also say that they think it is really cool that I'm doing this while laughing at my ghetto fabulous setup).  I definitely want to continue standing.

No comments: